The Pepper Group
Diversified

3865 E Via Del Verdemar Tucson, AZ 85718

(520) 977-0003
Like us on facebook!Follow us on LinkedIn!Follow us on Twitter!

only ThePepper.com


 


Fort Huachuca Military Base

Fort Huachuca is a product of the Indian Wars of the 1870s and 1880s. In February 1877, Colonel August B. Kautz, commander of the Department of Arizona, ordered that a camp be established in the Huachuca Mountains. This camp would offer protection to settlers and travel routes in southeastern Arizona while simultaneously blocking the traditional Apache escape routes through the San Pedro and Santa Cruz valleys to sanctuary in Mexico. A temporary camp was established at the post's current location on March 3, 1877, by Captain Samuel Marmaduke Whitside with two companies of the 6th Cavalry. The site was selected because it had fresh running water, an abundance of trees, excellent observation in three directions, and protective high ground for security against Apache tactical methods. Camp Huachuca was redesignated a fort in 1882.

In 1886, General Nelson A. Miles designated Fort Huachuca as his advance headquarters and forward supply base for the Geronimo campaign. Geronimo's surrender in August 1886 practically ended the Apache danger in southern Arizona. The Army closed more than 50 camps and forts in the territory, but Fort Huachuca was retained because of continuing border troubles involving renegade Indians, Mexican bandits, and American outlaws and freebooters.

In 1913, the 10th Cavalry "Buffalo Soldiers" arrived and remained almost 20 years. The 10th Cavalry joined General John J. Pershing in the 1916 expedition into Mexico and, during World War I, it was assigned the mission of guarding the United-States-Mexico border.

By 1933, the 25th Infantry Regiment had replaced the 10th Cavalry as the main combat unit for the fort. The 25th, in turn, was absorbed by the 93rd Infantry Division during World War II. When the 93rd departed for the Pacific in 1943, the 92nd Infantry Division arrived at the fort for training and subsequent assignment to the European Theater. During the war years, the troop strength reached 30,000 men at the fort, which in the 1930s had been described as suitable for a brigade-sized unit of about 10,000 men.

At war's end, the fort was declared surplus and transferred to the State of Arizona. It was reactivated during the Korean War by the Army Engineers.

A new era began in 1954 when control passed to the Chief Signal Officer, who found the area and climate ideal for testing electronic and communications equipment. The importance of the fort in the national defense picture grew steadily from that moment. In 1967, Fort Huachuca became the headquarters of the U.S. Army Strategic Communications Command.

Then, in 1971, the post became the home of the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and School, bringing with it the School Brigade. The Strategic Communications Command became the U.S. Army Communications Command in 1973, subsequently changing to the U.S. Army Information Systems Command in 1984.

In October 1990, the post changed hands with the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command became the new host command; the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and Fort Huachuca now operates the post.

Today, Fort Huachuca is the major military installation in Arizona, and one of prominence throughout the Southwest.

Fort Huachuca, Arizona



Arizona Military Family Housing Support Resource Center
Arizona Davis Monthan AFB - Tucson Arizona Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
The General William Blanchard Golf Course
on Davis-Monthan Air Force Base AFB





MLS TUCSON AND SOUTHERN ARIZONA REAL ESTATE LISTINGS SEARCHES
Tucson MLS . Tucson Homes . Sell Your Real Estate . Investments . New Homes Tucson AZ . Tucson Golf
Tucson Weather
. Arizona Homes . Arizona Real Estate . Tucson Arizona . Tucson Real Estate

Copyright © 1995-2010. The Pepper Group Diversified. All Rights Reserved

Our Privacy Policy


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

The Pepper Group™
Diversified Real Estate
3865 E Via Del Verdemar Tucson, AZ 85718
1-520-977-0003
Tucson Real Estate